From 10 untill 19 March we will participate at Tefaf Maastricht.
In our stand we will proudly present an extraordinary Dolls’ House. In the best seventeenth-century tradition, this cabinet is furnished as a dolls’ house and it is decorated with silver miniatures exclusively from the seventeenth century. This has been done with the knowledge of the history of our country that had its Golden Age in the seventeenth century, the century in which Amsterdam-based merchants and governors sailed their ships across the world’s oceans to return home with the most luxurious commodities.
From 1650 onwards, their proud wives started furnishing and decorating dolls’ houses, for themselves and for their descendants. These dolls’ houses give us important insights into the world of the elite of Amsterdam, the city that was seen as the capital of the world. Often, these display cabinets were an accurate imitation of their owners’ grand residences on the stately Amsterdam canals. The tradition of decorating a dolls’ house started around 1650 and ended in the middle of the eighteenth century. Only five dolls’ houses from this period have survived. They are all in the collections of Dutch museums, such as the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam.
The patrician ladies that occupied themselves with this typically Dutch phenomenon, were aware of the latest developments in architecture, fashion and silversmithing. In the seventeenth century, silver miniatures were the basis of the furnishings of a doll’s house. They were usually furnished with nine ‘rooms’, that nowadays give us an idea about the luxurious lives that were lived inside the houses of our seventeenth-century ancestors.
From the large reception room to the luxurious display kitchen, from the bedroom to the drying or clothing attic, from the front room to the nursery, from the dining room to the cooking kitchen, and yes, there even is a view on the garden behind the grand townhouse.
The rooms of this dolls’ house are richly decorated with almost 200 seventeenth-century silver miniatures. Miniatures from that century are extremely rare and many miniatures in this house are even unique. The floors in the house are made of luxurious types of wood, that were also used in the seventeenth century. The ceilings are painted in seventeenth-century fashion. The Kangxi porcelain is made around 1700, as are the fabrics that are used in the drying attic. A carved mother-of-pearl plaque adorns the mantelpiece and the walls are embellished with pencil drawings that are attributed to Cornelis Claesz. van Wieringen (ca. 1575-1633).